Pregnancy is one of the most important and exciting times in a woman’s life and it is the most important time for a woman to be under Chiropractic care. There are millions of changes that are occurring in both the mother and the developing baby. The body changes dramatically from the moment of conception and continues to change even after the baby is born. Some changes are easy to notice such as a growing belly, the change in a woman’s posture and changes to the way she walks. Other internal changes are not as obvious to detect.
The hormone Relaxin which increases in the first trimester and at delivery, relaxes the muscles and ligaments preparing the body for birth. Therefore, the shifting of the centre of gravity forwards, by the rapidly expanding abdomen, expectant mothers can develop poor posture and pain. More than 50% of women will experience some form of low back pain during pregnancy.
Often any pre-existing problems or longstanding issues become more obvious and painful as the baby grows. Research shows that having your spine checked and adjusted by a chiropractor will ensure a more comfortable pregnancy and birth. The uterus also directly attaches to the pelvis via two ligaments. So if your pelvis and spine aren’t moving freely, the uterus is placed under tension which is known as intrauterine constraint.
Some simple suggestions for Caring for Your Spine during Pregnancy.
- Try to get fit prior to your pregnancy
- Continue exercising during pregnancy, focusing on strengthening the pelvic muscles
- Exercise comfortably to improve circulation
- Avoid carrying older siblings on your hips and avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Avoid one-sided positions and repetitive motions to one-side.
- Wear flat supportive shoes, such as runners and avoid wearing high heels
- Sit with knees lower than hips and avoid crossing your legs
- Do not rest in a recliner or slouch in a chair, Support your lower back with a cushion when sitting
- Use a pillow under the abdomen and between the legs in bed
- Sleep on the left side to encourage the baby to that side
- Take frequent rests, lying down towards the end of your pregnancy
- Consult a chiropractor throughout your pregnancy to avoid pain and to maintain a healthy spine. Chiropractic treatment is a drug free alternative for the relief of discomfort during pregnancy and beyond for both mother and baby.
Chiropractic care during pregnancy is safe and gentle and it will ensure that you and your baby are functioning as best as possible. It makes sense.
Find out how we can help!
Feel free to call the clinic and ask us how.